The mission of Caroline’s Room is to ease the trauma of families with children in neonatal intensive care. We do this through:
- Providing a safe haven where families meet in privacy with caregivers to plot strategies and deal with outcomes;
- Raising public awareness of the risks of babies born too soon and the needs of their families; and
- Collaborating with a range of partners to achieve our vision.
Our vision is that very family in every neonatal intensive care unit has a refuge where they can find privacy, dignity, and peace.
- Every NICU family experiences extreme trauma and stress for which they are not prepared.
- In the midst of this, every family deserves comfort, compassion, and privacy, and a range of support in dealing with options and outcomes.
- Families deserve the full commitment and collaboration of all who care for their children.
- Family-centered care is needed in all NICUs; all hospitals can nurture this model of care.
- Families in the NICU need a calm place for quiet reflection, consultation, and grieving.